A lot of times people think that 5K races are for the beginner runner and the more advanced people should be running half and full marathons. But when you think about it, 5K’s can be excellent training tools for a few reasons….
1. Fat Burners. 5K’s are speed races where we can really push ourselves the entire race which allow us to burn fat quite quickly during training since we are constantly concentrating on improving our speed as opposed to just our distance.
2. Great motivators. Any race will get you motivated to run. So why not a 5K?
3. For a good cause. 5K’s (like most races) usually support a great cause like, for instance, breast cancer awareness.
4. They are fun. 5K’s help you to get out and meet new people frequently and usually are followed by a post event (like a tailgate or brunch) to help improve your real life social network.
5. Very convenient. Race day for a 5K is quick and easy. You arrive, run for 20+ minutes, and wah-lah! You are done. Enjoy your metabolic boost and go about your day.
6. Great to mix things up. We often get caught up in our mini marathons and distance runs that it is nice to mix things up a bit and do a 5K or two. Don’t let the short distance confuse you into thinking you aren’t accomplishing something! Just try and improve your time every race.
7. Relatively cheap. Most 5K races range between $20 and $40. A perfect race for any recession!
Here is a fun 5K to get those in the Chicago area started! Look for some near you today and get to running: